Age Minimum (with Adult): 25+, Minimum Age:25+
Runaway & Homeless Youth Mentor
Providing youth with safe, structured transitions from homelessness to self-sufficiency has a lasting impact on not only the youth, but the Sioux Falls community. Provide connection for youth to positive permanent supportive adults who can guide them through life challenges. The connection to positive relationships, opportunities to finish high school, gain employment and maintain sobriety in a safe living environment will lead to productive, engaged adults who will contribute to the Sioux Falls community.
- Complete orientation, interviews and trainings (initial and ongoing).
- Complete volunteer application packet, including the screenings associated. Provide copy of valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Commit to meeting with the youth one hour a week face-to-face with subsequent contact via phone call, text, or email at least once during the week.
- Commit to monthly two-hour trainings. These will be administered in a variety of ways from in-person workshops, books, videos, etc. You will be notified of how that month’s training will be done.
- Encouraged to attend and participate in group mentoring events/outings.
- Adhere to local, state and federal laws.
- Agree not to place yourself or youth in compromising or unsafe situations.
- Refrain from alcohol, tobacco, or drugs while on outings.
- Stay in contact with VOA staff to check in about match as well as contacting staff regarding problems/issues/concerns.
- Complete time sheets on a monthly basis.
- Maintain boundaries and confidentiality.
HOURS: Position requires flexible scheduling. Mentoring can happen weekdays, mornings, afternoon, evening and weekend hours.
All volunteers must be 25 years old and pass criminal background and child abuse and neglect screening. Individual must possess a genuine desire to teach and guide youth and have the ability to be a positive role model. An understanding and belief in the principles of youth development/involvement is essential.
For more information go to: https://www.voa-dakotas.org/get-involved
Connect Below to Volunteer!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: