A Genesis Mentor is a caring and responsible adult that teaches financial management skills to low income individuals or families. As a Genesis Mentor you will form trusting relationships with a mentee and their families while helping and encouraging them to set and pursue housing, employment, education and other long-term stability goals.
Qualities of a Good Mentor:Committed to being involved with another person
- Respect for the individuals and their abilities and right to make their own choices in life
- Not enabling but empowering the family or individual
- Ability to listen and accept different points of view
- Ability to empathize with another person’s struggle
- Asking questions to surface options and consequences to the family’s situation to help them find their own solutions
- Flexibility and open
- Exhibits enthusiasm in the field.
Throughout the Genesis Mentorship experience, Mentors will:
- Guide Mentees through the Genesis Journey Guidebook – a financial guide and goal setting handbook
- Work with their mentees to set goals for the 18 week mentorship
- Promote financial literacy with mentee by assisting in creating and editing a basic household budget and guiding mentee in life skills enhancement
- Have a professional, trained caseworker available to them at all times
If you would like to attend the Genesis Mentor Training or to learn more about the program, please contact Brett at 605-331-3935.
Interested? Please complete an inquiry at www.thecommunityoutreach.org/orientation
Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Connect Below to Volunteer!
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: